Friday, March 28, 2008

A nugget from Coach Bryant...

I absolutely loved the last part of John Pruett's column in the Huntsville Times on Wednesday. I must mention that reading Pruett has been a part of my life since the mid 70's. I'm glad he's still doing it. The letter he references was treasure from Coach Bryant. Coach Bryant really was a classy guy relative to how he treated people with politeness and kindness. An excerpt...

"Dear Bobby and Phil:

Thank you very much for your letter. I am highly flattered by your comments, particularly since you are fans of Auburn.

Appreciate you writing and hope each of you has a most Joyous Holiday Season.

Sincerely,

Paul Bryant

PB/lk

Nineteen days later, in his final game as Alabama's coach, Paul Bryant's team beat Illinois at the Liberty Bowl.

Four weeks after that, he died of heart failure in a Tuscaloosa hospital."

2 comments:

Sharp said...

Did you hear that John retired Monday?

His final column is here.

Mike Wilhelm said...

Thanks, Sharp, for the link. I was going to look for it but haven't done it yet. I wrote this just a couple of days before I heard about his retirement. There was a big section about him in the Sunday HSV Times.