Wednesday, April 16, 2008

"Roll Tide" from Condi...

Condoleezza Rice repeats that she will not be a vice presidential candidate - Birmingham News

"Although her speech was heavy with the serious issues revolving around warfare and statecraft, Rice did take a little time to teach lessons about her native state to an audience filled with military personnel from across the country and world.

"When you address people here in Alabama, you say y'all. But, the plural of y'all is not y'alls. A lot of people just say, all y'all," Rice said as the crowd laughed. "There is also nothing called unsweetened tea. It just doesn't exist.

"But, if you really want to understand Alabama, become a part of us, you really need only three words: Roll Tide Roll," Rice said."

2 comments:

Sharp said...

I like Condi. And I love her "endorsement" of the Tide!

But y'all in and of itself is plural. Yew is singular. "All of y'all" is usally reserved for special emotional occasions such as a farewell to a group ("I'm sure gonna miss all o' y'all") and anger at children ("I done told all of y'all I'm gonna get my belt out if y'all don't hush!")

Mike Wilhelm said...

Yew got that right!